A Written Prayer & The Power of Christ JESUS

This written prayer was found on the body of an unknown Confederate soldier who was killed in battle.  Though he did not survive, his words did.

I asked God for strength that I might achieve,

I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

 

I asked for health, that I might do greater things,

I was given infirmity that I might be better things.

 

I asked for riches, that I might be happy;

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

 

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men,

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of the Lord.

 

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

 

I got nothing that I asked for – but everything I hoped for,

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayer was answered.

 

I am among all men, most richly blessed.

 

---O---

 

  As I read this prayer, I was reminded of Paul’s prayer when He asked the Lord to remove his “the thorn in the flesh.”  As you know, his request was not granted.  Are you weak and troubled with the infirmities of the flesh?  Have you earnestly prayed, asking that the Lord would remove these painful things from your life, and yet they remain?  Remember the answer Paul received from the Lord.  “My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”   

 

What was Paul’s reaction to those words from the Master?  “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong” (II Corinthians 12:9-10).  

 

-preacher Jim Byrd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Encouragement in Christ JESUS ~ 04 October, 2023 A.D.

JESUS - Rock of Ages