The Wednesday Word [23MAR22]

Jesus the God/Man

At the heart of the gospel, we have the man who is God.  Jesus, the God/Man rescued us with blood, His blood, died was buried and rose again.  This is what sets Christianity apart from all other religions.  In Christianity, we are not told to do something to discover God rather we see that God has spelled Himself out and declared Himself in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. What a mysterious constitution there is in the person of the Lord Jesus. He is the God/Man. He is one person with two natures, one human, the other divine. We have never seen anyone like Him nor, as a teacher, will we ever hear His like again.  He was and is unique and thus stands head and shoulders above all other religious teachers. Consider this: As a man, He was born thousands of years after Adam, but as God, He beheld Satan fall long before Adam was ever created. (Luke 10:18).

As a man, He was made. (Hebrews 1:5).  As God, He was the Maker of all things. (John 1:3).

He was the helpless baby in the manger, yet He was the Mighty God. (Isaiah 9:6).

As a man, He grew. (Luke 2:40-52).  Yet as God, He filled all things. (Ephesians 1:23).

As a man, He had a mother, but as God, He had no parents. He is without genealogy. (Hebrews 7:3).

As a man, He came after John, yet was before him. (John 1:15).

As a man, He was on earth. (Mark 2:10). Yet at the same time, He was in Heaven (See Mark 2,10; John 3:13, John 1:18).

As a man, He was restricted to the locality, yet at the same time, as God, He was Omnipresent. (Matthew 28:20).

As a man, He was the servant, (Philippians 2:7), but as God, He was the Lord. (Luke 2:11).

As a man, He was lower than the angels. (Hebrews 2:9).  As God, the angelic hosts were under His command. (Mark 13:26-27).

As a man, He prayed. (John 17).  But as God, He hears and answers prayer. (John 14:14).

As a man, He knew weakness. (John 4:6).  As God, He was the Almighty One. (Revelation 1:8).

As a man, He died. (1 Corinthians 15:3).  As God, He was the Resurrection and the life. (John 11:25). Jesus is so far beyond all other religious teachers not because His teachings were better (which they were) but because of who He is … the God/Man. For the gospel believer, Christ is the centre of everything.  The following is a part of a prayer from the ancient Celtic church, which summarizes the kind of thinking that makes the Lord Jesus central. “Christ be with me,Christ before me,Christ behind me,Christ in me,Christ beneath me,Christ above me,Christ on my right,Christ on my left,Christ when I lie down,Christ when I sit down,Christ when I arise,Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,Christ in every eye that sees me,Christ in every ear that hears me. And that’s the Gospel Truth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

God ordained Authority: Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrate