IT SHALL BE WELL WITH THEM THAT FEAR GOD



Who would not fear Thee, O King of nations? for to Thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto Thee.” -JEREMIAH 10:7 [KJV]

 
How reasonable it is, that this glorious Being, whose greatness is unsearchable, should be regarded with feelings of the profoundest reverence. It is, indeed, His due, and as such He claims it from all His creatures. “The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes[PSALM 36:1]. To have no fear of God before their eyes is at once the greatest injustice, and the most unutterable folly. All who have the impudence to lift up their puny arms in rebellion against Him, are engaged in a conflict, which, if persisted in, is sure to terminate in their utter destruction.

Think of His incomprehensible greatness and majesty. Think of Him as the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity--the heavens His throne, the earth His footstool, the light His garment, the clouds His chariot, the thunder His voice. Viewing Him thus it will be impossible for you to treat Him with indifference, far less with scornful disdain. If you are only brought in some measure, to realize the fact of God's greatness and majesty, you cannot fail to acknowledge that He is greatly to be feared, and to be held in reverence by all His creatures. Just so, with all the other attributes of His nature.

Who can think of His power so mighty, so irresistible - a power which is able to crush us into atoms with infinitely greater ease than we can tread the crawling worm beneath our feet and not fear Him? Who can think of His knowledge, nothing being hidden from His omniscient glance, the darkness of midnight and the splendor of noon, being altogether alike to Him and not fear Him?

Who can think of the terrors of His avenging justice, and not fear Him especially, as when He proclaims from His exalted throne, See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with Me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand. For I lift up My hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet My glittering sword, and Mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to Mine enemies, and will reward them that hate Me [DEUTERONOMY 32:39-41]. Our God is, truly, a consuming fire! It is most befitting for us to regard Him with reverence and godly fear!

It is not those who can deprive us of our present life, whom we should so much dread. Limited, and of brief duration is the power of all mortal foes at best. And I say unto you My friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear Him [LUKE 12:4-5].


-Gospel report by preacher John Ross MacDuff (1818–1895 A.D.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD