Nothing Good To Say About You?


"And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, There is yet one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we may enquire of the LORD: but I hate him; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil. And Jehoshaphat said, Let not the king say so." -I KINGS 22:8 [KJV]


I often feel like Micaiah must have felt with regards to what I must say to men and women. Like him, I have nothing good to say ABOUT them. Why? Because God says that there is none good, no not one. Nothing good can be said about those who by nature are like Ahab. There is no good news about man in himself. The good news is TO men, for men! The good news is the gospel of grace, the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a report of the only good Man, the Man Christ Jesus!

People want to be told what to do but my message has to do with something that is already done, THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST. They want to be told "how" to live a righteous life but my message has to do with an imputed righteousness, a gift from God accounted to the believing sinner. Men want me to praise their works but I must tell them that salvation is not of works lest any man should boast. It is not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us.

They want advice on how to quit sinning but I am to tell them of Him who knew no sin and who bore the sins of many in His own body on the cross. I am sent to tell the truth about God but their carnal minds are enmity against Him. I am sent to speak of spiritual things but they desire to hear of things appealing to the flesh. They seek advice but rarely heed it because when I tell them what the Word says, what it commands them to do, it is contrary to what they WANT to do. It isn't appealing to them and before long they quit asking and often quit coming to hear me at all. They didn't want advice, they wanted approval!

But Christ said, "My sheep hear My voice..." There are a few who listen to the preached word and to Bible-based advice and they, because of the quickening Spirit of God, are given faith and enabled to receive the Word of truth with gladness! I thank God for them and rejoice with them, knowing that it is God in grace who makes them to differ. They know that true gospel preachers can only speak good about them and to them IN CHRIST! Let others say “Peace, peace” when there is no peace but I can’t. Men heap to themselves teachers having itching ears. I don’t want to be one of them!


-Gospel report by preacher Gary Shepard

Sovereign Grace Baptist church of Jacksonville, North Carolina USA

Please find Audio Gospel Sermons and Contact Information here:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD