The Wednesday Word ~ 09 October, 2024 A.D.

Did Jesus Die Well? Part II

by D.G. Miles McKee

We saw, in part one, that Jesus died with scripture in His mouth and faith in His heart. He died well.

Let us ask whether many gospel believers of the past also knew how to die well. Let’s see what some of them said as they were about to die.

Thomas Cranmer cried out, “I see Heaven open and Jesus on the right hand of God.”

(Thomas Cranmer was the Archbishop of Canterbury who lived from 1489-1556. He was burnt at the stake for believing in Justification by Grace through Faith).

Cotton Mather, (the most famous of the late 17th century New England Puritan preachers) said, “Is this dying? Is this all? Is this what I feared when I prayed against a hard death? Oh, I can bear this! I can bear this!”

Watts Wilkinson: 19th Century gospel preacher said, “Christ is worth more than ten thousand worlds. O let me catch a glimpse of Thee, and then drop into eternity.”

Lady Selina Shirley, Countess of Huntingdon (1707-1791) declared, “I shall go to my Father tonight. My work is done; I have nothing to do but go to my Father.”

William Gouge; Gospel Preacher and writer (1575-1653) stated,

“Now I have not long to live. The time of my departure is at hand. I am going to my desired Heaven. I am most willing to die. I have, blessed be God, nothing else to do but die. Death is my best friend next to Jesus Christ. I am sure I will be with Jesus Christ when I die.”

On his death bed, John Owen, one of the greatest of the Puritan thinkers said, “I am going to Him whom my soul loves, or rather who has loved me with an everlasting love, which is the sole ground for my consolation.”

Martin Luther´s last words were “Into Thy hands I commend my spirit! You have redeemed me, O God of truth.”

Isaac Toms an 18th century gospel preacher said on his deathbed, “I perceive I am slipping into eternity.” A visiting minister began to say to him that he was going on to receive a great reward to which Toms replied, “Sir when I arrive at the world of blessedness, I shall shout, Grace, Grace!”

When his doctor told him that his pulse was growing weaker, Augustus Toplady, the 18th century preacher and hymn writer replied, “Why, that is a good sign that my death is fast approaching and, blessed be God, I can add that my heart beats every day stronger and stronger for glory.” A few days later when sensing the imminent loom of death, he burst into tears saying, “It will not be long before God takes me, for no mortal man can live after the glories God has manifested to my soul.”

There are many, many such illustrations from the deathbeds of God’s people. But someone asks, what if, when we are on our deathbed, we are too far-gone to remember any of the gospel promises? That’s a great question which can best be answered by again pointing to the deathbed scene of a dear saint of God. Some years ago, in Scotland, an elderly Christian was in terrible distress on his deathbed. “Oh, Pastor,” he said, “for years I have relied upon the promises of God, but now in the hour of death I can’t remember a single one to comfort me.” The pastor replied, “My brother, do you think that God will forget any of His promises?” A smile came over the old man’s face as he calmly and joyfully said, “No, no, He won’t! Praise the Lord, now I can fall asleep in Jesus and trust Him to remember all His promises and bring me safely to Heaven.” Peace flooded his soul, and a short time later he died.

And that’s the Gospel Truth! ‘Til He Comes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

JESUS - Rock of Ages

Encouragement in Christ JESUS ~ 04 October, 2023 A.D.