Lamentation & Encouragement in my LORD JESUS Christ

"Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me, a man of strife, and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury, yet every one of them doth curse me."Jeremiah 15:10 [KJV]

It is sweet consolation to new-born souls to know the state they are come to. Verily, saith Paul, "unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, and unto the heavenly Jerusalem."Hebrews 12:22. Even to all the glorious privileges of Jesus' church and kingdom, of love, grace and peace. The utmost stretch of thought comes infinitely short of our highly favored state. See also the blessed company you are come to, "an innumerable company of angels, the general assembly and church of the first-born, whose names are written in heaven, and to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling." vss. 23, 24. And hath distinguishing grace thus honored us? Shall the church our mother bring us forth? And will not the world take knowledge of us, that we have been with Jesus? That cannot be, for then we should be bastards, and not sons. For all are partakers of the world's hatred, as soon as they appear to be the object of God's love, and live as His adopted children, by faith.

What a strict harmony is there between the prophets and saints of the Old Testament, and the apostles and disciples of Jesus under the New! What strong confirmation, that both are taught by the same Spirit! In this one truth they both perfectly agree, "We are not of the world, therefore the world hateth us."John 15:19. But marvel not, saith our loving Jesus, it is not you, but Me they hate. I am the principal object of hatred, you only for My sake. But poor souls are ready to cry out, "Woe is me." What am I always to live thus in strife and contention? Is not my deportment and carriage towards the children of this world quiet and inoffensive? No; they will not think so, unless you do as they do, live as they live, follow their vain customs, and partake of their carnal joys. "I have neither borrowed nor lent." Verily, this plea of excuse is the cause of offence. For this they will curse us as over-righteous, precise fools. But stoop to borrow their ways, and lend yourself to their customs and practices, cast in your lot with them, and all will be well; peace and friendship will subsist. But no; we prefer spiritual fellowship with Jesus above all: we dare not forsake Him, nor incur our Father's displeasure. We know "the friendship of the world is enmity with God."James 4:4.

Hast thou thy Saviour's mark, my soul? 

Hated of men for Jesus' sake? 

Such honor is thy chiefest joy; 

Christ's glory, thou shouldst ne'er forsake.

My Jesus, teach me, day by day, 

To glory in Thy cross. 

O may I live and prove this truth, 

All gain but Thee, is loss.

 

-preacher William Mason (1724-1797 A.D.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD