The Wednesday Word

                        Away with the ‘Hope So’

                                               D.G. Miles McKee

“But why should you only ‘hope so’ when God wishes you to ' know so?’

"Well, sir, I believe in Jesus, and all I can say is I ' hope so’ and I don't think anyone can ' know so' as long as they are in this world.”

“If you will permit me,” I answered, “I will show you just one little verse in the Word of God which will settle that matter definitively.”

“You need not trouble yourself,” said she, “I know the Word of God well. Ever since I was a child I have studied it and I don't believe there is a verse you can show me that I don't know.”

“Just one, Mrs. H.”

“Well, where is it?” said she. Taking her large-print Bible from her hands, I found and read to her,

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may KNOW that ye HAVE eternal life… “ (1 John 5:13).

I read it a second time, and then said, “Do you believe on the name of the Son of God?”

“I do,” was the emphatic reply.

“Do you believe that you are a lost sinner needing salvation and that nothing but the blood-shedding of the Son of God could avail to put away your sins?”

“I do.”

“Do you repudiate all thought of salvation by your own works, confess that you are an undone, guilty, lost sinner, and now simply believe in the name of the Son of God?”

”I do," was again the short and sincere answer I got.

“ Well, then, granting all that, have you eternal life?”

“ I hope so.”

“Oh," was my reply, "I see it now; in the days when you went to school, they used to spell differently than they do now.”

“How so, sir?”

“ Why, K-N-O-W used to spell H-O-P-E in those days.”

“ Not at all, sir.”

“What did it spell?”

“Why, of course, it spelt KNOW the same then as now.”

“There is a mistake somewhere,” I replied, " there must be, for you say you believe on the name of the Son of God, and He says, ‘These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life,' and you stand there and tell me that you only hope you have it.”

“Let me see that verse myself,” said the old lady, suiting her actions to her words by diving her hand into her pocket, and taking out and adjusting her spectacles. Once and again she read slowly to herself, and then most emphatically out aloud, “ These things have I written unto you that BELIEVE ON THE NAME OF THE SON OF GOD, that ye may KNOW that ye HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.”

“Well, thank God you see it now, and you believe it simply as it stands, don't you?”

“Oh, yes, there's no room left for doubting now; thank you for drawing my attention to the Lord's Word.”

the Son of God, that ye may know that ye have eternal life.' Good-night, and good-bye, sir.”

Website: MilesMcKee.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

God ordained Authority: Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrate