The Wednesday Word

Full Assurance of Faith

by D. G. Miles McKee
 

The Greek word `Plerophoria', (translated 'full assurance') occurs 4 times in the New Testament. First, we have the “full assurance of understanding” Colossians 2: 2. Then in 1Thessalonians 1:5 we have ‘full assurance of the gospel;’ then the ‘full assurance of hope’ (Hebrews 6:11); and finally, the full assurance of faith (Hebrews 10:22). Let’s consider, for a few moments, the last one, “Full Assurance of Faith.”

Notice that we have the full assurance of faith, not the full assurance of feelings! Have you ever said to yourself, “If I could only feel saved, then I would have assurance?” But such thinking is entirely and utterly wrong. 

For instance, if I said that I could not believe you until I felt that what you said was true, I would be saying, Your word is not enough for me.  I need your word plus my feelings.  If that is the way it is, I might as well call you a liar to your face. Yes indeed!  It is quite inappropriate for me to believe that you are not telling the truth, whatever my feelings may be. How much more then is God to be believed?

The Almighty speaks in His Word and we believe Him.  God does not lie (Numbers 23:19).  What a beautiful, comforting truth that is.  In the light of that truth, listen to what the Master says, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life” (John 6: 47).  He is not lying!  He’s telling us the truth!  We don’t need to feel that He is telling the truth. No! We, regardless of feelings, believe God’s word.

If we lack assurance of salvation, we should tell ourselves John 6:47 (and other verses like it), over and over again. We should reckon on every syllable of it being true and enjoy the “full assurance” it gives. At the beginning and end of the day, and in the middle, we could meditate on each part and weigh each statement, until we believe what is written!  Everlasting life is ours.

There is no condemnation for us in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)! 

“Brother Miles, on whose authority do you say that?”
On the Master’s authority!  He speaks, we believe, and are informed of what is ours.
‘God said it, that settles it. 
I Believed it. That settled me!’

I believe in my doctor when I put my case into his hands and trust him to cure me.  I believe my lawyer and I leave my case in their hands. I believe in my bank when I put money into their hands and allow them to keep it on my behalf.

If I can trust my doctor, my lawyer and my banker who are but mere mortals then I can believe the God/Man, the Lord Jesus Christ.  When I take Christ to be my Saviour, and put my case into His hands, I trust Him to do what I cannot do for myself … save me from my sin.

There is an old story told of a Scottish preacher whose friend came to him in spiritual perplexity. “Tell me,” the friend inquired, “How do you know that you have always got a hold of God?” For a long minute the minister was silent, and then, with a great wistfulness in his eyes, said: “How do I know that I have always got hold of God?  I don't always know; but I do know His word tells me, He always has a hold of me!”

And that’s the Gospel Truth! 
 

Note: for more Gospel messages & Contact Information please go to http://milesmckee.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

God ordained Authority: Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrate