The Offence of the Cross Ceased

"Then is the offence of the cross ceased." -Galatians 5:11 [KJV]

The cross of Jesus was, of old, the great offence both to Jews and Greeks; and, in the present day, we may add, it is so to every one, who, by a perversion of language, calls himself Christian, but yet denies the Godhead of Him whom he presumes to call Maker. And if the believer would but relinquish this distinguishing feature in his Lord's person and atonement for his sins by the blood of His cross, then indeed would the offence of the cross cease.  

But, my soul, ask thyself, whether the offence of the cross be ceased in thy view? Yea, rather, whether, like Paul, not only the reproach of the cross is taken away for ever; but thou art crying out with an holy indignation against all rejoicings but in Jesus and His cross? Say, is it not thy daily, hourly song: "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world?" Galatians 6:14. Is all thy glory in Him, whom, in reproach, the world called "The man hanged upon the tree?" Art thou for ever looking on Him there, and for ever rejoicing in the view? There, sayest thou, there hangs all my confidence, all my joy, my security, my victories, my triumphs! Offence, do they say? Witness for me, I would say, all ye angels of light, that "this is all my salvation, and all my desire!"  

My soul utterly renounceth, utterly despiseth every idea of any other Saviour, but my Lord Jesus, and Him crucified. Lead me, Thou blessed Holy Spirit, lead me to the continued celebration of my Lord's cross, in my Lord's supper. There let Jesus Christ be evidently set forth crucified for me; and there may I receive the bread and wine, the representations of His body and blood, in token that I seek redemption in no other, but am heartily, fully, completely satisfied and convinced, that "there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." 

-Robert Hawker (1753-1827 A.D.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD