Make a Joyful Noise unto the LORD JESUS

"He hath put a new song in my mouth." -Psalm 40:3 [KJV]

Some sing, when they have cause to be sad: others are sad, when they have reason to sing and rejoice. Some go on merrily to hell; others go on sorrowing to heaven. When the grace of Jesus is in the heart, a new song is put into the mouth. This is a song of new covenant love. This we are to sing all our days on earth, and for ever and ever in glory. In passing the streets, we meet with many occurrences, which remind us of our Beloved. It is sweet to spiritualize carnal things. I was much delighted with a carnal song, which concludes thus:

All the time is thrown away, But what is spent in love.

I thought this was very true of the love of our Saviour. This Psalm is applied to Christ in His manhood state (Hebrews ch. 10.) A new song was put in His mouth on our accounts. He says, “Many shall see it, and fear, and trust in the Lord.” See hence, our spiritual joy springs from seeing Christ’s work in our salvation: knowing that He experienced His Father’s upholding power, as man and mediator; and beholding His triumph over all His and our enemies. 

Look at this; yea, look and look till you can say, O, Jesus! my whole soul loves Thee. For hadst Thou failed in Thy work, my soul had been irrecoverably lost, for ever. But, now Thou hast finished Thy Father’s work and my salvation, I am saved for ever. I see it; I trust in the Lord: and, having this confidence in my heart, this song is put into my mouth, “Salvation to our God, which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb!” (Revelation 7:10.) 

Now, I can adopt my Saviour’s words, “Thou hast brought Me up from a horrible pit, out of miry clay; set My feet upon a rock, and established My goings.” Therefore, “I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise unto my God, while I have my being” (Psalm 104:33.) I charge thee, O my soul! never, never forget the horrors of dread, the terrors of fear, the agonies of pain, and conflicts of sufferings, thy Lord endured from men and devils, and from His Father’s fiery wrath and inexorable justice, for thy sins and thy salvation! O, sing of His mighty conquests! Rejoice for his glorious triumphs over all the powers of sin, death, and hell. 

Well might the apostle exhort believers thus, “Speaking to yourselves in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs; singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:10.) “The ransomed of the Lord shall return and come to Zion with songs; they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.” -Isaiah 35:10 

 

Old songs of vain and carnal mirth 

No more delight my heart; 

New songs of Jesus’ life and love, 

Spread joy thro’ ev’ry part.

Thou loving Spirit! Thee I praise, 

For grace, of Christ to sing: 

He is my joy, my righteousness, 

My Saviour and my King.

 

-preacher William Mason (1724-1797 A.D.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD