The Wednesday Word ~ 18 October, 2023 A.D.

7 Gospel Mercies. Part 5
by D.G  Miles McKee  
Today we conclude teaching on the Seven Gospel Mercies. 7) Everlasting Life. Because of the gospel, we are given life, not for a day or a month or a year but given eternal life!  Jesus said, “Verily, verily I say unto you he that believes on Me has everlasting life.” (John 6:47). We also read that Jesus taught, “He that believes on Him that sent Me has everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation but is passed from death unto life.” (John 5:24). It has been argued that the term everlasting life also includes the idea of, not only an eternal duration of life but also a certain quality of life. Part of this quality is the absence of condemnation. If you are in Christ, there is no condemnation for you (see Romans 8:1) both now and in the future. If, by faith, you are in Christ, there is no reason for you to be plagued by guilt or fear that you will not be saved.  Remember that salvation is not dependent on you holding on to God, but on you being securely held by the hand of the Almighty. Dear Believer, embrace the gospel and its mercies!  Start living outside yourself and begin setting your affection on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God (see Colossians 3:1-4). These are but seven of many gospel mercies; if we embrace them they will revolutionize and transform our lives. Remember this, preaching which is devoid of the gospel … preaching which urges us to try harder and harder but gives us no gospel only brings guilt and death. Right standing with God is altogether by the blood of Christ and has nothing whatsoever to do with what we do or don’t do.  It is totally to do with that which has been done (Christ's perfect/finished work on the cross). “Oh! that’s dangerous brother” Yes, it is. But again, as I said last time, so are trees and oceans! If we let gospel truth sink into us, we will be convinced that we will never be more righteous than the blood of Christ has made us. We will never be more accepted than we already are in the Beloved One.  Works could not get us into right standing with God and our failings cannot get us out. Peace with God and freedom from all condemnation can only be obtained and maintained by the gospel. The Hymn writer got it right when she penned the following words, 
Before the throne of God aboveI have a strong, a perfect plea;A great High Priest, whose Name is Love,Who ever lives and pleads for me.My name is graven on His hands,My name is written on His heart;I know that while in Heaven He standsNo tongue can bid me thence depart. When Satan tempts me to despair,And tells me of the guilt within,Upward I look, and see Him thereWho made an end of all my sin.Because the sinless Saviour died,My sinful soul is counted free;For God, the Just, is satisfiedTo look on Him and pardon me. Behold Him there, the risen Lamb!My perfect, spotless Righteousness,The great unchangeable I AM,The King of glory and of grace.One with Himself, I cannot die;My soul is purchased by His blood;My life is hid with Christ on high,With Christ, my Saviour and my God. by Charitie Lees Bancroft.

And that’s the Gospel Truth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRIST OUR ONLY AND PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS

Incoming GOOD NEWS!

3 LIES ABOUT GOD & 3 TRUTHS ABOUT GOD